Saturday, April 16, 2016

Career Woman or Housewife?

To be able to survive something I dislike, I turn the angle of the things in my head a bit.
For example, in a situation where I have to move to a new place to do a job I don't really like (which doesn't pay much either), I search for a crack in my mind, which I assume to be elastic, where I could slip my "hand" in and twist the thing into a shape I less dislike. My crack on this is how I change the way I see the job I'm doing and turn it into something more like a warming-up stage before the bigger deal. Therefore, I decided to think of it as an apprenticeship where my cost of living is given sufficiently. I know it's not entirely a good habit, I mean, it's like I kid myself by thinking that I'm okay. However, this makes it more bearable and positive until I can finally feel it for real. That way, I still can count my blessings and learn as much as I could while keep the faith on a better step ahead.

In this "apprenticeship", I learn about a slice of wisdom as a woman: a basic knowledge of handling children (a standard for a good character building before they reach five years old, which is crucial since after five, the "roots" are set) and basic stereotype about a working mom. I don't want to oversimplify things and judging which one is better than the other, but I'll try to divide things up and pick what can be me in the future.

All I see is two choices: either pursuing a career or building a family. It means if I want to focus on my career, I'd better off without kids. As a woman, I can't see myself pursuing something while building a house. I have to keep on the move and the household will be messy without the Lady of the house. On the other hand, if I want to raise one or two kids, I'd better do it right because good building means good foundation, and it requires a very long time of patience..and staying. Investing on their future.
 
I used to look up to carrier women as I always wanted to be one. After almost a year being a preschool teacher, my point of view about this changed. Now I look up to those who can set their priorities straight and not half-ing things. My point being made, both pursuing career and building a family need full attention. To which turn my life will go, I'm still keeping my options open, I'm just sure that it should be one or the other, not half this and half that.


Meeting 20 kinds of husbands and wives from my preschool class, I saw 20 possible characters of wife/parent I can choose from. I have seen a desperate husband whose wife is always working, an overwhelmed house-wife whose husband is always occupied with work, a frustrated pregnant-wife who has a disobedient little girl, a working couple who always have smartphones in their hands or ears, a laid-back mother of twins who can turn her kids' weakness into something to laugh about, a humorous couple who took the time to joke with each other, a defensive wife and a yielding husband, a working mother of 5 rock-headed boys, and many others. Despite all of them are impressive in their own way, if I may choose, I'd like to be that couple who can joke around with each other and turn something embarrassing about their kids into good laughter to all while they keep striving for their kids to be better. For the very least, maybe a couple who is supportive to each other and calm in reaching mutual agreement.

Now back to the options set for myself, that if I am to become a full-time house-wife, I should take more chances to visit new places as an independent woman. On the contrary, if I am to become a full-time working lady, I should at least take more chances to make someone's childhood or future right. That's what I think for now. If there is one thing I know for sure is important for both positions is high education. For working women it's for their salary and career path, while for mothers it's for they will educate an entire future generation. There is always nothing to lose for a woman to have herself educated. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment